Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Context Mapping My Life

From what I gathered in the reading, context mapping is thinking about the different areas/aspects of one’s life, who is involved in that part of his or her life, what is expected of the individual in that part of life, and how the person feels when he or she is in that setting.  


Based on my understanding of context mapping from the reading, I created a context map of myself and the different areas of my life.  I included five different areas/contexts of my life.  For each I included words that people would use to describe me, along with words that describe how I feel in these settings and the role I feel I must take on in each of these settings.
Four Types of Identities (according to Chapter 2, Understanding Youth Adolescent Development for Educators, Nakkula & Toshalis, 2010)

Foreclosed Identity: “one in which an individual has committed to a life direction or way of being without exploring it carefully and without experimenting with alternatives...either thrust upon a person...or simply accepted with little reflection”
Diffused Identity: “a state in which there has been little exploration or active consideration of a particular identity and no psychological commitment to one...easily influenced by others and often change rapidly from one belief or representation to another to fit into changing contexts”
Identity Moratorium: “a developmental state in which one actively explores roles and beliefs, behaviors, and relationships, but refrains from making a commitment...often accompanied by a great deal of anxiety due to the competing demands experienced in the exploration of the authentic ‘me’ and the immediacy with which a lack of identity cohesion is felt”
Achieved Identity: “occurs when the identity crisis is resolved and the commitment to the selected identity is high...the individual has successfully integrated his ego-identity needs from the past, within the present, and into the future and can therefore display a certain level of self-acceptance and ego strength across changing contexts”

2 comments:

  1. nice job with this blog. This is very creative. I wonder are the descriptions in the bubbles something you think of yourself or are what other people think of you? You seem to have an understanding of a context map

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your context map and how organized your blog is! I noticed throughout each bubble I saw the word "perfectionist". I have a similar question to Timi, which descriptions are what you perceive of yourself and which are the ones that others think of you?


    P.S. I like how you added in the definitions of the four types of identities!

    ReplyDelete