Saturday, November 21, 2015

Resilient Kids

Mission: To foster the social, emotional and academic growth of children and young people through mindfulness curricula seamlessly integrated into the school culture.  Our professionally-trained, dedicated instructors work in partnership with school administrators and classroom teachers to reduce stress and behaviors that interfere with learning, to accelerate positive student outcomes.*

Vision: Our vision is one of resilience.  We work in partnership to create a self-sustaining culture of fortitude for school, career, and life. We envision a community where all people live lives of strength, purpose, and compassion.  We inspire success one moment at a time.*


I love the mission and vision of Resilient Kids.  Too often, schools focus on the academic part of children’s lives and completely disregard other aspects of their lives, such as social and emotional.  By bringing mindfulness into the school curriculum, Resilient Kids is fostering the growth of the whole person, which is such an important concept.  While the program is school-based, the tools students learn can be taken outside of the classroom and applied at home, in extracurricular activities, and throughout the rest of their lives.  

In my years of teaching dance classes, I have found that kids feed off of the energy and attitude of their teachers.  Regardless of what kind of day I am having, when I get to work it is important that I put all of my personal problems aside and focus my time on the kids and teaching dance.  This is not always easy, but kids can tell when you are having a bad day and will take advantage of that if you let them.  One technique I have learned for classroom management in the dance studio, and when I am nannying is not yelling.  I don’t like yelling, and it accomplishes nothing.  When my students get out of control, I simply stand there and say nothing.  Slowly, they start to realize that they should be doing the same until the classroom is silent.  I then ask them, in a quiet voice, to take a deep breath and bring their focus back to what we are doing.  At the end of the day, the kids are happy, I have a productive (and somewhat quiet) class, and I don’t lose my voice or my patience.  

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about how you manage your classroom and think that this is probably the most effective way to handle those type of situations. I completely agree that yelling accomplishes nothing and think that the children have much more respect for you as a person and teacher when you are patient with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you applied what you learned from "Resilient Kids" into your Internship. I know you will make an amazing Youth Worker, especially after seeing your students faces light up at the 99 Restaurant fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete